Tuesday, May 22, 2007

28 years in review

Twenty eight years ago this afternoon two of the world's best parents increased their family size from 4 to 6! I've heard many stories about the day my mom found out she was having twins to the day we were born. My mom has only 1 brother. His first child was a girl. After my parents had my brothers, my mom asked her brother how to get a girl. I won't give out the details of what he told her but after finding out she was having twins (and she didn't know it was girls until we were born) she told her brother. His reply??? "I didn't tell you to double the 'recipe'!" :-) Ha Ha.

Mom said she had mixed emotions when she found out she was having twins. There wasn't a girl born on my dad's side of the family for over 100 years and she says all she wanted was 2 boys or 2 girls - not one of each. She was worried that if she had one of each - the girl would get a lot of attention and the boy wouldn't. I don't know if that would have really happened but it's how she was feeling 28 years ago.

My sister and I were 2 days past our due date when we were born. She weighed 7 lbs 12 oz and I weighed 8 lb 10 oz. The day we were born, my dad went downtown to buy us new outfits to come home from the hospital in and he said he remembers seeing these two women walking down the street. He had some thoughts in his head and then he remembers thinking, the first guy who looks at my daughters the way I did at those two, I will.... You can figure out how a new daddy to 2 little girls probably finished that sentence. Don't get me wrong, my dad is not a weird-o but he was only in his late 20's when we were born.

Growing up with an identical twin sis had lots of ups and downs. I look back at pictures and I can't even tell us apart. On some pics, if they are not labeled, even mom and dad have a hard time knowing who was who. Memories, memories, memories!!!!!

Did you know that 28 years ago, May 22 was on a Tuesday? Cool huh? OK, enough reminiscing. Have a great day! Here's to a new year filled with many new memories and praying for my dream of being a forever mommy to come true.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Happy Birthday!!
Here's wishing you a wonderful day!

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Happy Birthday! Wow, kudos to your mom for two big babies at once! So do you send HER flowers on your birthday? ;-)