Friday, June 1, 2007

Thoughts on the war....

Susan over at My Life in the Foster Care Space Warp (see link under blogs I read because I don't know how to put it in here) wrote about going to a choir concert recently and how many children have parents serving in Iraq and how well the kids behaved and saluted the flag when it was brought in.

I have a brother-in-law that spent a year in Iraq in 2003-2004. Although he was able to be home for 4 days when his 2nd daughter was born - he missed the whole first year of her life. This was a HUGE sacrifice for him; however, he CHOSE to join the military. This is his full time job and he truly enjoys his job. We are very proud of him and all the other soldiers who are fighting so we can have the freedoms that we have. That year he also missed our wedding. We made video of our wedding/reception/dance and sent it to him in Iraq. He also sent a dollar for the dollar dance and towards the auction of my garter. Well he won the garter and he got his dollar dance. It may have been 1 year after our wedding, but he deserved it! He will never get back the "1st's" that he missed from his daughter's first year of life or the 1st day of kindergarten for his other daughter but he doesn't regret that. He has pictures and although, it's not the same, he is a proud soldier.

I also have a VERY close friend and several acquaintences from my hometown leaving next week to be deployed to IRAQ for the 2nd time. I worry about them; but again, this was their choice. No one forced them to sign on the dotted line.

Do I agree with the war? I can't say I do. There are far too many lives being lost, but it's not about whether the war is right or wrong. That decision was made by our President with whom WE, the American people, voted to have lead our country. Do I vote - no. So I really can't complain either. Right, wrong, indifferent, we are in a war and I really don't think we can just pull out of Iraq. We're there, we have to finish what was started.

We will be going to the prayer service today (which is my hubby's birthday) and funeral tomorrow for a local soldier that was killed in Iraq on my birthday, May 22. My husband grew up with this soldier and his family and it is really getting too close to home but again - he chose to be in the army. He is leaving behind a wife and 2 daughter's. He was 27 years old.

This is just my opinion and I know people will disagree with me but it is what it is.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I totally agree with your post!

The war isn't something that anyone loves, but the soldiers fighting for ALL of us are doing their duty...and as you said, they chose to do this. I am forever grateful to the courageous men and women who risk their lives every day, and who are doing this because they believe in the cause of freedom.

I get so sick and tired of people bad mouthing the soldiers and the President. This war is something that has to be finished. I can just imagine the evil and hateful people who are against freedom, and especially against America, sitting there laughing at how our country is so divided...and how we're fighting amongst ourselves, instead of against the blood thirsty and evil people who would have the world held captive and stripped of freedom. I'm sure they feel that they've succeeded in their plan of hate, dividing our nation, and brain washing people. Has anyone seen the reports on how many of the countries are broadcasting "children's" shows that teach children to hate Americans and want to kill Americans?

Isn't it ironic how after 9/11 everyone was brought together, yet now...many people have so easily forgotten what happened, the lives that were lost, and the unity that was shared?! Now, people are just interested in pointing the finger of blame, and protecting the people who did the heinous attacks.

Yes, I want the soldiers to come home and be able to lead normal lives again...but this war needs to be finished in the time that's needed, not when people think it's time to end it because "it's a lost cause". Not everything can be done according to the time that everyone would like. War isn't something you can say "Ok, in a month all should be fine. Let's plan on leaving, and let's announce it to the whole world."

That's my 2 cents.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you attend the service for your fallen friend.

Thank God for those brave soldiers who allow us to have our freedoms. May we never let them have died in vain.