Saturday, August 25, 2007

Court Update

Well I don't know if I should really post about this yet or not. I don't want to jynx myself but here it goes anyways....

SW called about 4:15pm yesterday. She told me that Bio Dad was caught in a lie under oath during his testimony and he hung up the phone. They tried to reach him several times and he wouldn't answer the phone. The judge then told the lawyers to write their summaries and turn them in by Monday am. He then said he would make his ruling by Tuesday afternoon.

There should be no reason that Bio Dad gets his kids back at this point. Really, there's no reason he should have anyways, but after committing perjury, I don't think he should no matter what. I don't know what the lie was and I'm not sure if I ever will, but a lie is a lie and especially when you're under oath!

I called Hubby and told him the news. I asked him if he thought this was good news or bad news. He said neither. I told him I agreed with him to a point. I think it's both Good and Bad. Good - we SHOULD be able to adopt IF we choose.
Bad- It's always sad that these kids are brought into this world and now will have to live with the fact that the people who brought them into this world, don't want them. Unfortunately, that is the truth in this case. It's not that they CAN'T care for them...they just DON'T WANT THEM! I can't imagine how that is making Em & JP feel.

We also discussed a little about adopting them and we know that we have to talk about it more. At the point TPR is official, we look at it as though they are our kids. They are living in our house. They are calling us Mommy and Daddy. We are responsible for their health, safety, well-being. How can we just say...Nope, don't want them. Then are we any better than their bio parents? Yes, we have quite a few behavior issues with them, but things could be a lot worse. I am very optimistic that once the kids realize they are HOME to stay FOREVER, that will help some of these issues. Also with the start of therapy, we are praying that things start to improve. Now the idea that we could be a FOREVER family on Dec 6, 2007 is such an exciting and scary thought all mixed into one.

The other thing is Em has been talking a lot about wanting to change her name. I don't know. I don't particularily like what she wants to change it to. Then again, her real name isn't one I would choose to give to a child either, but it fits her. Do you change her name at 7 yrs of age? What would that be like in school for her teachers/friends? We plan to change their middle names, but I don't know what to do about first names? What can you guys tell me from experience? JP has never said anything about changing his name. We actually like his name and it goes well with what his middle name would be. What if he wants to change his if we let Em change hers??? So many things to think about......

Nothing else new. JP's birthday party is this afternoon. Should be fun. Supposed to be near 80 degrees and I borrowed mom and dad's little pool with the slide on it so I think the kids will enjoy that.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Julie said...

that is exciting!!!!!!!!!! and sad- all at the same time- sad that the bio dad is so messed up he can't take care of his kids but exciting that they will get a forever family!! :)

Heather said...

Wishing you lots of luck on the judge finalizing this in your favor. I agree, I think once you can be a Forever Family, things will begin to get better.