Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Sad day...

Mom told me we had a death in the family today.....

Momma (my 17 yr old cat from when I was in Jr. High) hit my dad in the pickup today and was killed instantly. Yes you read that right - she ran into my dad's pickup this morning and hit her head on the wheel and she was killed instantly! :-( Her name was Momma but she had never had kittens. We just called her that and I have no idea why! This kitty had 9 lives.

She lived with us at my childhood home. Then with my grandparents while we moved. Then back at my parents lake home. Then with us while mom and dad moved again. THen at their farmstead. While living at the lake home with my parents, my mom had thought she had run over her and worried all day about coming home and having to bury my cat. She got home from work, buried the calico cat she had hit and 2 hrs later Momma came up to the door of the house and wanted in! It hadn't been Momma that she ran over (duh!).

I'm sad. It's weird. I know she was old and there were signs that her health was failing but SHE WAS MY CAT! Granted i have 8 cats at our farm now and stuff but it's still sad.

I guess it's the circle of life though, right? And mom's comment to me....How soon will you have kittens???? We need some here at the farm! Thanks mom! At least I know where to get rid of kittens this spring as with 7 female cats, we'll have PLENTY! Little does mom know...we've got a cat that is starting to look a little too plump for her own good at this time of year and our male cat who moved to the neighbors is back again so guess what will be at my house in the not too far off future!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh...I'm so sorry hun. I just lost my cat (who lived at my parents house) that I had since I was 5 years old; thats so rough. So I know how you feel. It's like losing the last bit of your childhood... :(

((BIG HUGS))

Mary said...

I'm sorry, Jody. I had a dog for most of my life and when he died it was heartbreaking. Pets are such an important part of our lives.

Kathy said...

I'm so sorry. I know it's very hard to lose a beloved pet.

(((HUGS)))